Call Us: 0790 222 0492

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Awareness

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas produced by incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels, including gas, oil, wood and coal. Carbon-based fuels are safe to use. It is only when the fuel does not burn properly that excess CO is produced, which is poisonous. When CO enters the body, it prevents the blood from bringing oxygen to cells, tissues, and organs. You can't see it, taste it or smell it but CO can kill quickly without warning. According to the HSE statistics every year around 11 people die from CO poisoning caused by heating appliances and flues that have not been properly installed, maintained or that are poorly ventilated. Levels that do not kill can cause serious harm to health if breathed in over a long period. In extreme cases paralysis and brain damage can be caused as a result of prolonged exposure to CO. Increasing public understanding of the risks of CO poisoning and taking sensible precautions could dramatically reduce this risk. There are signs that you can look out for which indicate incomplete combustion is occurring and may result in the production of CO;

There are a number of simple steps that gas consumers can take to keep themselves safe.
Carbon Monoxide can be produced by any combustion appliance, including those that burn fossil fuels e.g. oil, wood and coal. If you have one of these appliances you should make sure that it is serviced and maintained by a competent person and the chimney is regularly swept.

What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

Early symptoms of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning can mimic many common ailments and may easily be confused with food poisoning, viral infections, flu or simple tiredness. Symptoms to look out for include:

Whats the relation with Carbon Monoxide to your Oil Boiler?

Badly installed or poorly maintained oil boiler can produce a highly poisonous gas called carbon monoxide (CO) which can leak into your home. This gas is odourless, tasteless and cannot be seen but it can cause serious long term health problems and can be fatal. If you or your family experience any of the above symptoms and believe you may have been exposed to carbon monoxide, you should seek urgent medical advice from either your GP or an A&E department.

What to do if you suspect you have an issue with Carbon Monoxide?


Where a new or replacement combustion appliance, not solely for cooking purposes, is installed in a dwelling, a carbon monoxide detector/alarm shall be provided in the room where the appliance is located. However, if the combustion appliance is installed in a room or space not normally used e.g. a boiler room/cupboard, the detector/alarm shall be located just outside the room or space. This should allow the alarm to be heard more easily. It is important that these detectors should not be regarded as a replacement for regular maintenance and safety checks by a Gas Safe Registered engineer. CO detectors must comply with British Standard EN 50291 and carry a British or European approval mark, such as a Kite mark (CE). CO alarms should be installed and maintained in line with the manufacturer's instructions.